A partnership between the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, An Honors University and the Maryland Department of Disabilities


Does a student need a diploma?

The program is intended primarily for students with intellectual disabilities, e.g., Down Syndrome, who do not receive a diploma, but instead exit school at 21 with a certificate. However, students with intellectual disabilities who have a diploma are encouraged to review the curriculum and if they find it academically appropriate, they may apply. The SUCCESS program, however, is not designed to provide credits that result in academic degrees. We encourage any student who is able to obtain a high school diploma instead of a certificate. A high school diploma offers an individual many more options.

Why are individuals with autism, learning disabilities or other developmental disabilities not eligible?

This program is designed specifically for individuals with intellectual disabilities who exit high school at age 21. For additional information on the definition of an intellectual disability, go to: Students with other types of disabilities are only eligible to apply if they also have an intellectual disability.

Can my son or daughter exit school early and enroll?

The SUCCESS program will accept students on an annual basis and will not accept students prior to age 21. Students who leave school prior to age 21 may not be eligible for the Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) funding for the SUCCESS program and may delay their eligibility for DDA funding for Supported Employment.

My son/daughter will be exiting school next year, will the program be available?
While this is a pilot, it is anticipated that the program will accept another 6-8 students next year and on an annual basis thereafter.


529 Plans

Families interested in college for their child with intellectual disabilities should consider saving and investing in Maryland’s 529 plans. The SUCCESS program at UMBC is an eligible program. Information on 529 plans can be found at

What may DORS pay for?
Individuals are encouraged to apply to the Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)services and develop a plan for employment.  Depending on disability factors, there may be a waiting list for services. DORS will make funding determinations on an individual basis.  DORS only provides funding in support of services that lead to competitive employment. It is important to note that DORS’ current policy for individuals who are approved for 4 year postsecondary education is to pay for the equivalent of community college tuition funding for 2 years and the equivalent for tuition at University of Maryland, College Park for 2 years.  DORS utilizes a sliding scale to determine if a consumer/consumer’s family will be required to contribute to the cost of services. In addition, all DORS consumers requesting assistance with costs of post-secondary education are required to apply annually for grants and scholarships for which they may be eligible. It is very unlikely that any individual would qualify for a funding level that would cover all of the costs of the SUCCESS program. Contact your DORS Counselor for more information.

What may DDA pay for?
Again, individuals are encouraged to apply and DDA will make determinations on an individual basis. It is very unlikely that any individual would qualify for a funding level that would cover all of the costs of the program. Residential costs will not be covered. For more information regarding DDA eligibility and funding, contact your Resource Coordinator or Sequaya Tasker, Coordinator of Children, Transitioning Youth and Aging Services at DDA by phone at 410-767-8688 or by email at

How do I apply to DORS and DDA?

To apply to DORS please visit:

To apply to DDA please visit:

When Should I apply to DORS and DDA?

If you have not already applied, you can apply to DDA at any time. You should apply to DORS in the fall 2 years prior to exiting school.

What should parents anticipate paying?

Parents will need to cover any costs not covered by DORS or DDA. The tuition and fees are set by UMBC annually and SUCCESS students pay the same amount as other UMBC students. For FY 13, the cost was $9764 and includes all curricular components of the SUCCESS program and allows participants access to facilities, event and activities including athletics, the Commons, the UMBC shuttle, and student activities. Currently, there is no on campus residential option. If families want to pursue a residential option in off campus private housing, they should plan to pay between $20,000 and $30,000 per year. For more information on the private residential options visit the UMBC SUCCESS website.
SUCCESS participants have several options if they choose to purchase a UMBC meal plan ($1830 for 2012-2013 includes lunch 5 days a week and flex dollars for snacks) or to bring their lunch.

Will transportation be provided?

Door to door transportation will not be provided. Families not choosing the residential options are responsible for ensuring students are able to get to the campus no later than 9:45 am and are picked up at 4:00 pm Monday through Friday in accordance with the UMBC academic calendar. Students will be provided a UMBC student ID card and are able to access the UMBC shuttle service if they choose the residential option or live on a UMBC shuttle line. If you live in the Baltimore metro region, you may want to apply for reduced fare or paratransit.

Reduced fare application:

Paratransit application (for individuals unable to use the fixed route system due to disability):

You may also want to contact your local Center for Independent Living for Travel training at:

Is other financial aid available?

Not at this time. UMBC does hope to eventually be able to apply to the US Department of Education and be approved as a Comprehensive Transition Postsecondary Program (CTP). If approved, parents will need to complete an application for federal financial aid and based on family income, SUCCESS students may be eligible to receive Federal Pell Grants, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, and Work-Study funds. Information regarding applying for federal financial aid will be posted to the UMBC SUCCESS website when UMBC has been approved as a CTP.

Curriculum and Related Components

Is the program year around?

No, the program is 9 months and follows the UMBC academic year calendar. Parents will need to plan for any supports and services needed during the summer months and also for the periods of time that school is closed for holidays, semester, and spring breaks.

What will the curriculum entail?

The curriculum includes academics, service-learning, residential and independent living skills, social/recreational experiences and employment.
An outline of the 2012-2013 curriculum is available on the UMBC SUCCESS website.

Will accommodations be in place to assist students (like those provided via FAPE/IEP)?

The program is designed to provide intensive supports to the SUCCESS students. However, the IEP/FAPE approach to determining and providing services is required only in elementary through secondary education and is not applicable to post-secondary education or the SUCCESS program.

Will there be an orientation?

Yes, there will be an orientation for incoming participants and parents.

Will Personal Attendant Care be provided?

Families will be responsible for arranging for personal care and for any costs associated with provision of such care not covered by State Agencies.


When will the application be available?

Applications for the 2013-2014 academic year will be available in February 2013. To sign up to receive notification when the application is available, send your email contact information to Nan Brittingham Individuals will be interviewed and accepted on a rolling basis.

The application and required documents will be made available in February 2013 at:

What will the application process involve?

When the program is formally announced, individuals who meet the SUCCESS criteria will need to submit a complete application packet that includes the following:

• The UMBC NON-CREDIT SUCCESS Application Form
• A recent photo with your application materials
• The most recent school transcripts with the most recent IEP and Psychological Evaluation, a completed Release of Information Form and any postsecondary program records
• Emergency Contact/Medical Information Form
• Three letters of references from individuals who know the prospective student well but are not relatives. At least one should be from a teacher or employer.
• A one-page essay on “Why I want to go to college.”
• A resume or brief description of interests, volunteer and work experiences.
• A non-refundable application fee made payable to UMBC of $50.00.

Based on the applications, a group of eligible candidates will be chosen for interviews. The finalists selected to participate in UMBC’s SUCCESS program will be notified on a rolling basis.

Can I visit UMBC to see the program?

UMBC will host two open houses. One open house will be held in the late fall and one in the spring. To get notifications about the open houses, provide your email address to Nan Brittingham at