Obtain Academic Credit

Obtain Academic Credit

Several courses are offered each semester that allow students enrolled in a Practicum Course to link their experience to a course offering upper-level credits in a variety of disciplines.

For a list of courses <> (WORD document)

To begin the process of enrolling in one of these courses, make an appointment with a Shriver Center coordinator by calling our front desk at 410-455-2493. While The Shriver Center will help to facilitate your ability to obtain credit, the ultimate decision will lie with your academic department.  For students attending USG, please contact Ray Regimbal at regimbal@umbc.edu or 301-738-6157 to schedule an appointment at The Universities at Shady Grove.

If you found the internship/co-op/research position outside of using The Shriver Center/UMBCworks, please plan to bring the information listed below to your appointment. Those who found the position using UMBCworks do not need to provide the Center with this verification. The information should be documented on the organization’s letterhead with a signature of a professional staff member who can verify your intern/co-op/research status.

  • A complete and detailed position description
  • A commitment to employment dates that correspond to a full semester at UMBC
  • Your schedule, including hours worked per week
  • Supervisor’s contact information
  • Salary information (if applicable)
  • Have your employer sign the Employer Agreement