It’s easy to get started finding yourself an internship, co-op, or research position through The Shriver Center using UMBCworks. It is available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
INTERNSHIPS, COOPERATIVE EDUCATION & RESEARCH…
We have companies looking for you whether you want to start locally or across the globe: Positions are now posted on UMBCworks!
Undergraduates need to have completed One Semester at UMBC and have a Minimum 2.5 GPA. Transfer students are eligible with a 2.5 GPA and at least 30 Transfer Credits from their college/university.
LOG INTO UMBCworks and COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE
- Log into your myUMBC ACCOUNT and go to the TOPICS menu.
- Click on JOBS AND INTERNSHIPS and then click on the first link, UMBCworks.
- READ AND INITIAL POLICIES OF PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT FOR STUDENTS
- COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING SECTIONS:
A) PROFILE TAB:
(1) Personal Information (2) Academic Information
B) DOCUMENTS TAB:
(1) Use Microsoft WORD to create your RESUME.
(2) Click ADD NEW and LABEL it SHRIVER RESUME.
(3) Click CHOOSE FILE and upload your Microsoft Word document.
If you encounter problems logging into the system, please contact our office at 410-455-2493.
Resumes Samples in many majors including Technical, Science, Policy, Business, Graphic Design, Engineering, and Business can be found here.
SCHEDULE YOUR 30-MINUTE APPOINTMENT
You are now ready to meet with a Coordinator to assist you with your Internship, Co-op, and/or Research Search. SCHEDULE your appointment by calling the front office at (410) 455-2493 or stop by THE SHRIVER CENTER, which is located on the 1st floor of the Public Policy Building. For students attending SHADY GROVE, please contact Ray Regimbal (firstname.lastname@example.org) or (301-738-6157) to schedule your appointment at SHADY GROVE.
Arrive at your appointment with:
(1) Your Profile completed and your resume and references uploaded to UMBCworks.
(2) Hard copy of your resume.
During your appointment your Coordinator will review, provide feedback and approve your profile and resume in order for you to view and apply to Internships, Co-ops and Research Opportunities listed in UMBCworks.
APPLY TO POSITIONS
- After your resume is approved and released, view the online Intern, Research and Co-op postings in UMBCworks within Jobs and select UMBCworks. Filter jobs by POSITION TYPE (i.e., Internships, Cooperative Education, and/or Research) and by MAJOR. Select which organizations/companies you want to receive your resume by checking “SUBMIT” within Application Status. Make sure that you choose your “SHRIVER RESUME” to send. The Shriver Center will send your resume to those you have marked accordingly.
- Set up Search Agents (under Advanced Search) to be automatically emailed when jobs meeting your criteria are posted. You are encouraged to check the referral database every two weeks for new opportunities. Remember to return all phone calls from employers, even if you decide you are no longer interested.
- Cover Letter (optional) Many positions now require the inclusion of a cover letter in order to complete an application. Very simply, a cover letter should tell an employer, in three paragraphs or less, why they should hire you. You should tell the reader specifically which position you are applying to and how you found it, convince the reader to look at you resume, call attention to elements of your background that are relevant to the position you are seeking, provide any specifically requested information, and help to differentiate you from other candidates. For more information on creating a cover letter, visit our Professional Practice Guide Found here.
- Interview- Organizations will contact you directly for interviews. If you obtain an interview, please be sure to dress professionally, be on time, and be prepared for questions that will be posed to you. Check out our Interview Guide for assistance or call The Shriver Center (410-455-2493) to meet with our Interview Specialist.
- When you ACCEPT an Internship/Co-op/Research position, you must immediately notify and make an appointment with your Coordinator at The Shriver Center. At your Placement appointment, your Coordinator will discuss available CREDIT options, and add the zero-credit pass/fail Internship/Co-op/Research Practicum transcript notation. The Practicum involves completion of minimal requirements such as timesheets, learning objectives and evaluations.
- If a paid placement that is posted on UMBCworks or advertised directly by The Shriver Center is found and accepted, a University registration fee for participating in an Internship/Co-op/Practicum is billed to your myUMBC account at a rate of $35.00 for part-time (less than 35 hours per week) or $70.00 for full-time (more than 35 hours). This is a one time, per placement fee that will allow the same position to be noted on your transcript for subsequent semesters.
- Financial Aid awards are finalized based on the last day of ADD/DROP. Any Internship or Independent Study added after that date will not be considered for aid eligibility. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid at (410) 455-2387 or via e-mail at email@example.com to discuss the potential impact on Financial Aid.
- Obtaining Credit/Practicum Requirements