The Shriver Center’s Cooperative Education, Internship, and Research Programs are based upon a three-way collaboration between the university, the student, and the employer. As an employer, we ask that you work with us to provide each student with a quality work experience by adhering to the following requirements:
- Ensure a high quality work experience that is related to the student’s academic interest, enhances his/her classroom theory, and is a credit-worthy experience.
- Support student enrollment in The Shriver Center Practicum, which provides university recognition of the placement with a transcript notation, links the placement to upper-level credit, and ensures that the student has an educational experience.
- Select candidates referred by UMBC without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national original, lawful political affiliation, physical handicap, marital status, sexual orientation or age.
Training and Supervision
- Provide the student with an orientation to organizational policies, procedures, and utilization of resources, as well as position specific training.
- Assign a supervisor with whom the student will work closely. This person will serve as a primary point of contact for the student and The Shriver Center Coordinator.
- Provide a positive supervisory experience that encourages the academic, professional, and personal growth of the student. Ensure that no more than 25% of the student’s duties are spent on administrative tasks.
- Provide consistent and appropriate feedback through informal and formal evaluations such as the mid-placement review and end of the semester review to the student throughout the placement. A copy of the evaluation should be returned to The Shriver Center.
Collaboration with The Shriver Center Coordinators & Students
- Provide a description of the co-op/internship position and company information to The Shriver Center so that students can research opportunities and adequately prepare for interviews.
- Notify The Shriver Center in writing when internship/cooperative education offers are extended to students.
- Work collaboratively with the student to determine a work/school schedule that suits the needs of the employer and the academic requirements of the student.
- Work in conjunction with the student’s Shriver Center Coordinator throughout the student’s placement. Please inform coordinators of any changes to work schedules, hiring needs, questions, or other matters that may arise.
- Notify The Shriver Center Coordinator prior to any adverse personnel actions.
- Support the student in completing his/her degree program while refraining from offers of employment outside of the construct of cooperative education/internship programs prior to the completion of his/her degree.
- Compensate students in a manner consistent with company/organization policy.
- Allow at least one site-visit by The Shriver Center Coordinator.
UMBC Shriver Center Commitment
The Shriver Center will:
- Designate a Coordinator to work with the Employer/Sponsor.
- Inform eligible students of co-op/internship opportunities.
- Refer qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national original, lawful political affiliation, physical handicap, marital status, or age.
- Assist in the establishment and maintenance of credit-worthy experiences, arrangement of interviews, etc.
- Provide the Employer/Sponsor with relevant information regarding the candidates, their academic progress, and any changes in status.